Pray for Open Doors
Open doors can’t be taken for granted. Many missionaries work in countries that are difficult to access or in areas that are resistant to the gospel. But “open doors” include more than just access to nations and people groups. Individuals’ hearts also need to be open and receptive to God’s truth.
- Pray that God will open doors of ministry, blessing partnerships and friendships.
- Pray that those who serve will be led by the Holy Spirit and recognize open-door opportunities.
- Pray that God will lead His people past barriers to hearts ready to receive his Word.
Pray that God’s Word Will Spread
Obstacles must be removed to allow God’s Word to spread rapidly and freely. Removing obstacles implies resolute resistance in spiritual warfare. Just as Aaron and Hur supported Moses’ arms in the battle against the Amalekites (Exodus 17:12), you can strengthen the arms of missionaries through your prayers.
- Pray for strength and stamina as missionaries encounter antagonistic spiritual forces (Ephesians 6:10–18).
- Pray that people will resist Satan’s plans to obstruct the spread of the gospel (James 4:7).
- Pray that God’s Word will indeed spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes.
Pray for Protection
In some countries, open doors may expose missionaries to the possibility of danger and personal harm. Opposition to the gospel may include hatred and violence.
- Pray that God will keep Christian workers safe from those who seek to hurt them.
- Pray that God will change the hearts of those who are resistant to his Word.
Pray for Refreshment
Missionaries deal with many of the same stresses you face in life such as overwhelming workloads, relational conflicts and financial uncertainties. Often, however, missionaries struggle with these issues alone, without the fellowship and support of other Christians. Living and working cross-culturally adds an additional element that can challenge their emotional, spiritual and physical vitality.
- Pray that God will provide opportunities for missionaries in lonely areas to spend time with other believers.
- Pray that God will provide times of peace and relaxation to refresh his workers.
- Pray that God will encourage missionaries with the knowledge that people back home care about their emotional well-being.
This list is a shortened version of the list created by Wycliffe Bible Translators. All of the content listed above belongs to Wycliffe.